Background: a few electricians and production managers got together and realized that Philadelphia needs more qualified Master Electricians. These two sessions are to introduce the role of Master Electrician to anyone interested in becoming one, as well as to give some specific tools to help complete the job. Prior theatrical electrician experience suggested.
Each session covers different information. Come one or come to both!
Part One, Monday, October 15th 6pm-10pm
- Who we are? Why are we here? Definition of the ME and companies expectations: programs, overhire, budgeting, are you there for tech?
- Plot Prep
- Basics of electricity
- Communication with the designer, production teams, & production meetings
- Scheduling & budgeting time
- Software programs (Lightwright & Vectorworks),
- Dimmer capacity
- Any questions you may have!
Part Two- Tuesday, October 16th 6pm-10pm
Hang, Patching, Tech, Programming, Focus
- Overseeing crews & schedules
- Realistic goals for each day
- LED tape
- Fixture profiles
- Basic of programming
- Who to call when it all goes terribly
- How to use the equipment & how to become familiar with the equipment (scrollers, i-cues, brains, led tape, camlock)
- What’s expected at a hang
- What’s expected at a focus
- Tech responsibilities
Prices are on a sliding scale per session: $10, $25, $50. We ask for your active participation in deciding your contribution. If a sliding scale is implemented effectively, everyone pays a similar percentage of their income per session. We acknowledge that we live in a world of differing privileges and income disparities.
Included in the price: Food and drink, as well as a free day pass to The Philadelphia Design Center for each attendee.
The Philadelphia Design Center is a nonprofit coworking space led by the Partners of Sacred Places. We are committed to supporting the efforts of Philadelphia’s diverse design community by providing advanced software technology and textile facilities to assist in the creation process of our members. Our digital lab memberships, starting at $40/month, include access to Vectorworks and Adobe Creative Cloud software and a comfortable 24/7 co-working space. Learn more about how you can join our growing community at PhillyDesignCenter.org